Guest blog by Tim Hopkin, a current Geovation Programme member talks about ‘The Land App’ an agricultural land management app and more.
We asked Tim…
What is your business/idea?
Mapping for land managers. Allowing land managers to get a more complete overview of the land they are managing, by getting all the information relevant to them together in one place and helping them work on that collaboratively with other stakeholders.
What have you found most valuable whilst being on the programme?
- How to set up a company
- What is required to move all the parts of a company forward
- The mentors, Alex and Seb, helping guide the forward movement of the company, sharing their experience
- Being at the hub, surrounded by really cool people and having a great space to work from
- Lots of companies doing interesting things
- Being able to be around the centre of everything that is happening
- Spacious, efficient, all the resources that you need
- A great place to arrange to meet people to move your business forward
- Being able to understand more about what is available from Ordnance Survey
- Data sets
- Where OS is going
- What opportunities are available
- Working with OS developers
- Turning an idea into a reality
What has been the biggest challenge you’ve encountered whilst building your business? And how did you overcome this?
Learning how most effectively to do development. This was overcome by spending time with Seb who shared how best to move a project forward step by step.
Understanding all of the things that you need to get working to get a business off the ground. This was overcome by spending time with Alex and through all the arranged mentorship through the programme.
Where do you see yourself in a year’s time?
With a company up and running and being able to help people on the ground manage their land more effectively.